Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Less Is More



Initially, I had planned to do a pictogram of the water dispensers in NUS because it has always been frustrating to locate them whenever I need to refill my bottle. (Perhaps NUS should really think of something?)

However, as I have realised in tutorial, the idea of the water dispenser has been overused. Hence, I have decided to try another idea instead.

I thought of a "NO HOGGING" pictogram sign for power points because there are always limited power points in a classroom and the demand usually exceeds the need. It is not practical to install more power points so I thought a "NO HOGGING" pictogram sign would encourage people to share power points.

However, I found it to be rather challenging as I found it difficult to simplify a picture denoting the "no hogging". In situations like this, perhaps just a sign with the words "NO HOGGING" would be effective in itself. =p

As I was walking back home towards the bus stop in NUS. I suddenly had an inspiration for another idea: To warn people of NUS buses rolling backwards. I immediately whipped out my phone and snapped a picture of the NUS bus before it drove off.



I chose the 2nd last design because it provides a little more information than the last design. The 2nd last design has the bus lane on it, so it conveys the idea in a more straightforward way that the bus may tend to roll back. Whereas for the last design, it may seem as if a bus is falling from the sky. Also, the bus looked more like the rear end of the actual bus in the 2nd last design. I also shaded the bus black so that it's more obvious to the eye when driving or crossing the road.




FINAL PROTOTYPES:


With the red border, this sign will look more like a road sign and drivers may take note of it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment